[tex-live] TL2007

Staszek Wawrykiewicz staw at gust.org.pl
Mon Jan 8 15:03:10 CET 2007

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007, Robin Fairbairns wrote:

> > Good point for naming just 2006/2007, as it reflects the major work done
> > in 2006 (xetex, pdftex1.40, and more...)
>
> against this is gerben's point.  personally (after the way we bit
> ourselves with latex version numbers) i would recommend not using
> release year numbers in software.

Hmmm, we have in mind the whole distribution on cd/dvd for simple users.
As they see "2006", they can think: "ahh, somehow not a fresh software".
Do you remember Boulhakow's "sturgeon that's second-grade fresh"?

> > Btw. has anybody noticed that this release is TL nr 10 (just a jubilee!)?
> > Good occasion to remember all those crazy starters, our friends
> > (Sebastian, Thomas, Fabrice, Erik, and some more...).
>
> and that sebastian's original work was supported by uktug (at a time
> when buying a cd writer, for example, was a big deal).  did gutenberg
> support fabrice?
>
> (fwiw, uktug had a second scheme to do the same thing for macs, given
> that uktug members got/get oztex for free.  the scheme never got off the
> ground...)

Ahh, please do not start such discussion. I only wanted to mention
the pioneers (and say my thanks to them).

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz
StaW at gust.org.pl