[tex-live] OSFONTDIR in texmf.cnf-4WIN

Thanh Han The hanthethanh at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 00:24:41 CEST 2006

On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 10:01:22PM +0200, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> Hi,
> this is an excerpt of Master/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf-4WIN:
> % OSFONTDIR is to provide a convenient hook for allowing TeX to find
> % fonts installed on the system (outside of TeX).  An empty default
> % value would add "//" to the search paths, so we give it a dummy value.
> OSFONTDIR = /please/set/osfontdir/in/the/environment
>
> % PostScript Type 1 outline fonts.
> T1FONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/type1//;$OSFONTDIR//
>
> % PostScript AFM metric files.
> AFMFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/afm//;$OSFONTDIR//
>
> % TrueType outline fonts.
> TTFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/truetype//;$OSFONTDIR//
>
> % Opentype outline fonts.
> OPENTYPEFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/opentype//;$OSFONTDIR//

I think it makes sense for TTFONTS and OPENTYPEFONTS only;
AFMFONTS (and probably T1FONTS?) can be left out.

> Are there any Windows releases where the system fonts had not been in
> c:/windows/fonts?

the letter can be different. 'windows' sometime can be
'winnt' or other names, depending on what the user chose
during installation. However it doesn't hurt (IMO) if some
paths don't exist.

Thanh