[tex-live] compilation failed

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon Mar 20 22:35:45 CET 2006

  >> The first problem is that in Build/source/Work/texk/devnag/src
  >> automake-1.6.2

  > I guess it would take some effort to understand why.  The
  > devnav/src/Makefile.am just says:

  > bin_PROGRAMS = devnag
  > devnag_SOURCES = devnag.c

  > So it is not that which is requiring 1.6.3.  I'm sure it makes no
  > actual difference which is used.

  > Also, automake should not have to be run at all in the course of a
  > normal build.  Probably a timestamp problem.

A timestamp problem is very likely.  The config file says:

  use-commit-times = yes

I now removed automake-1.6.2 and tried again.  Everything works now.
It seems that the svn config file is absolutely necessary.

  > For teTeX/TeX Live (and other distributions I imagine), we cannot
  > compile things "manually"; there are dozens of programs and a
  > bunch of architectures, and therefore everything has to get built
  > with standard Makefiles.  This is one reason why many of the
  > programs on CTAN are not included.

BTW., a very useful program is sam2p.  It converts bitmap graphics to
eps/pdf more efficiently than most other programs.  See:

  http://www.inf.bme.hu/~pts/sam2p/

It would be nice to have it in TL-2006.  If the build process is not
usable for TeXLive, I think that it is not a big task to convince
Peter to provide support.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25