[tex-live] Ruby interpreter for Windows in the TeXLive distribution?

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri Jun 30 10:32:17 CEST 2006

Juergen Fenn wrote:

> For the record: I became a member of Dante because the TUGs offer TL
> every year, and I wanted to support that. I also depend on CDs on my
> olden laptop machine. My internet costs about 10 Euros/month which is,
> believe it or not, double the cost for voice telephony in my case. If
> I subscribed to DSL I would at least double my internet costs. No way.

the whole broadband issue is not related to installing (downloading)
texlive, but only to some users downloading a few extras (a few meg ruby
zip for instance)

downloading a complete os or updates for os's is another thread;

actually, if one depends on cd's dvd's for that, for the price of the
bi-annual update cd's/dvd's one can pay the broadband -)

texlive dvd's are pretty cheap, for members only a few euro's, contrary
to say suse or redhat professional, so that's a different issue

i remember the days when at user groups meetings we discussed the option
to give away dvd readers to members so that we could stick to dvd's only

Hans