[tex-live] Ruby interpreter for Windows in the TeXLive distribution?

Juergen Fenn juergen.fenn at GMX.DE
Fri Jun 30 00:55:59 CEST 2006

Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:

>> I still maintain that it is contraproductive to demand that every
>> Windows user of TeXLive should be required to have broadband (never
>> mind internet access).
>>
> one does not need broadband more than for updating linux; also, one
> definitely needs broadband to download the twice per year huge whole
> system updates on linux; which btw is why i have broadband (this is
> the first year that i could actually download a suse instead of
> buying one)
>
> btw, i wonder how many tex users have modem only connectins, since
> even the cheapest broadband is cheaper than the phone

For the record: I became a member of Dante because the TUGs offer TL
every year, and I wanted to support that. I also depend on CDs on my
olden laptop machine. My internet costs about 10 Euros/month which is,
believe it or not, double the cost for voice telephony in my case. If
I subscribed to DSL I would at least double my internet costs. No way.

> miktex users (a not neglectable group) install everything over the
> web

Some do, some don't. I installed everything from the proTeXt CD, and I
update or add the packages I need by hand because I don't like *any*
automatic updating. Been there, seen that.

> we should be careful not to make assumptions that may be wrong,
> maybe texies are more up to date (broadband, cable, wireless) than
> you assume

What would this change about the content of the TL CDs/DVD? It should
be as complete as possible. For *any* platform. Broadband is an option
for those who can afford it, it should not become a prerequisite for
using TL. Besiders, a CD/DVD is probably the broadest band you can
ever get. ;-)

Regards,
Jürgen.