[tex-live] Ruby interpreter for Windows in the TeXLive distribution?

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Fri Jun 30 01:10:23 CEST 2006

Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote
>> Uh, last time I looked, it ran directly from the media and that's what
>> has given it its name.
>>
> yes. but I regard that as of historical interest.

Well, we should either support it or not.  Before letting this
possibility slump, I'd think it appropriate to figure out whether
indeed nobody uses this anymore.

> I am just _amazed_ that you run TeX off a CD or DVD. I
> often teach using a live Linux system, but for real life?
> Oh well.
>> I think we should not rule out that, say, people in Nigeria use a
>> TeXlive DVD for typesetting.
> now why would people in Nigeria behave any differently
> from people in Germany or England?

Because they don't have broadband?  Or are you talking about using the
DVD (or CD) instead of installing?  Well, because large disks are
_expensive_ to acquire there?

>>   Also, TeXLive makes a nice carry-along
>> work environment.
> well, if you say so. seems inconceivable to me. why not go the whole
> hog and use a live Linux system on DVD? complete with TeX
> ad lib if you want.

Because it is not there yet.

> look ma, I'll even tell you how:
> http://wiki.oss-watch.ac.uk/UbuntuDapper/Remaster

I thought the whole point of TeXLive was that not everybody was
required to roll his own TeX distro...