[tex-live] Re: [tug-board] Any news of DVDs ?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Jan 26 18:35:49 CET 2006

    been any useful information as to how to un-BZ2 it, but there

bzip.org (not that you care, I know).

    Is there any /real/ reason why ZIP compression (which is
    universally understood) cannot be used rather than the obscure
    "BZ2" compression method ?

iso's are already compressed; I don't think the
inferior-though-ubiquitious zip compression would do anything
significant, whereas bz reduces by a some number of megabytes, as I
recall.  Been a while since I looked at the numbers.

    My main comment concerns the /unbelievably/ long time it took
    to install (compared to previous releases).

You don't say what platform you're on.  The Unix installer of the live
version has always been slow (ironically enough, the inst installer is
faster); I didn't think it was especially worse this year than before.
I cannot speak to Windows.

Best,
Karl