[tex-live] Fwd: Polish TexLive Stuff

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Dec 17 03:07:47 CET 2006

    only because there is no pure tex binary

Yes there is: "tex" is still "TeX".  It is the only one which is not
pdfetex.  It is our hope that this will somehow help the Art of Computer
Programming :).

    > yes, if the Poles are willing to give up their special name.

It's not my decision, but personally I see no reason why "the Poles"
should have to give up a program name that has been in use for 20 years,
especially because of a conflict with a proprietary program.  With
standard TL, it's not an issue because TL binaries are installed in a
separate tree and users can set their path as they wish, as Kaja wrote.
Distributors mark it as conflicting, and, presumably users will do what
they want.

For TL, I will do whatever "the Poles" want, of course.  I see no
overriding need to change anything.

Best,
karl