[tex-live] fmtutil-sys, updmap-sys scripts

Daniel Flipo daniel.flipo at univ-lille1.fr
Fri Oct 14 10:39:48 CEST 2005

Hi Thomas, hi all,

It seems that the new scripts fmtutil-sys and updmap-sys in TL2005
no longer take into account the TEXMFLOCAL branch of the TEXMF tree.

More precisely, I have modified versions of updmap.cfg and fmtutil.cnf
in the TEXMFLOCAL tree of my servers.

My (local) texmf.cnf file says:
TEXMF
=!!$TEXMFCONFIG,!!$TEXMFVAR,$TEXMFHOME,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFSYSCONFIG,!!$TEXMFSYSVAR,!!$TEXMFMAIN,!!$TEXMFDIST}

I moved $TEXMFLOCAL before $TEXMFSYSCONFIG and $TEXMFSYSVAR,
precisely to be able to use my local versions of updmap.cfg and
fmtutil.cnf (I don't like hacking into the standard trees ;-)

kpsewhich says:
# kpsewhich fmtutil.cnf
/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c/fmtutil.cnf
that's fine, _but_ when I launch fmtutil-sys, it uses the standard
/usr/local/texlive/2005/texmf-var/web2c/fmtutil.cnf
This is a consequence of your redinition of
TEXMFVAR and TEXMFCONFIG as TEXMFSYSVAR TEXMFSYSCONFIG, so TEXMFLOCAL is
hidden!

As a quick and dirty patch, I can do this: add
l=`kpsewhich -var-value TEXMFLOCAL`
TEXMFHOME="$l"
export TEXMFHOME
to fmtutil-sys and put $TEXMFHOME as the first entry of TEXMF
in my texmf.cnf...

The same is true for updmap-sys.

So, my questions are:

1) Could you think of a clean patch for fmtutil-sys and updmap-sys
    so that they pick up their config files where kpsewhich expects
    them to do so?

2) I always wondered why TEXMLOCAL was put behind TEXMF(SYS)VAR
    in TL standard texmf.cnf. Wouldn't it be more logical to search
    -- first the personnal tree of the user (TEXMFHOME and co),
    -- second the local trees of the machine (TEXMFLOCAL),
    -- then the standard TL trees?

Best wishes,
Daniel Flipo                             Daniel.Flipo at univ-lille1.fr
UFR de Mathématiques -- Bâtiment M2      Tél : (33/0) 3 20 43 67 75
Université des Sciences et Technologies  http://daniel.flipo.free.fr
F-59655 Villeneuve d'Ascq Cedex  France