[tex-live] TexLive 7 m-pictex

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Jun 28 15:34:41 CEST 2005

Hi Cherry,

    I have installed TexLive 7

FYI, TL 7 is from 2002.  You might want to grab TL 2004, or protext
(http://tug.org/protext).

    ! I can't find file `prepictex.tex'.

That file (and the others) did exist in the 2002 release.  They are in
the directory texmf/tex/generic/pictex -- maybe the pictex package was
not installed?  I recommend choosing "install all packages" ...

                  Also, what has happened to TEXINPUTS and BIBINPUTS?

They still exist.

    Where can I put files that I want to inputs, apart from in the
    current directory?

If you have a Windows environment variable $HOME defined, I think it
will work to create a directory $HOME/texmf, with subdirectories tex and
bibtex, and put your tex and bib files there.

Another possibility is to use the TEXMFLOCAL hierarchy, as discussed in
the documentation (I hope).

Hope this helps,
karl