[tex-live] TL 2003 on RH 7.3

Alois Steindl Alois.Steindl+e325 at tuwien.ac.at
Tue Jul 20 13:19:33 CEST 2004

On Freitag, 16. Juli 2004 13:45, Lars Madsen wrote:
> A friend of mine tried to install TL 2003 on her RH 7.3 but it failed with
> an error like this
>
> Error: `etex -ini  -jobname=latex -progname=latex *latex.ini' failed
>[...]
> etc.
>
> any idea what happens here, it install without problems om our RH 7.2
> system.

Hello,
since I have not yet seen any answer to your question, I give it a try.
My guess would be, that the problem already occured somewhere before.
Did your friend already have a TeX installation before? Where did she install
the distribution? I encountered some problems, when I installed it on a FAT
partition. Did she update all involved environment variables, especially PATH
and TEXMF and friends?
What gives
which latex
which kpsewhich
kpsewhich texmf.cnf

She could also try
texconfig confall
after she made sure, that the environment variables are set correctly.
Alois

> TEXMFINPUT(S) has been set to a local directory, can this influence
> anything??

Are you sure, that there is some variable like that? I know TEXINPUTS, TEXMF,
TEXMFCNF and so on.
If she sets TEXINPUTS, she should also take care, that the default directories
are included; usually that is accomplished by an empty entry, eg. by a ":" at
the end or by "::" in the interior of the variable (of course, also by ":" at
the start).

Good luck
Alois