[tex-live] problems with fptex texmf-local style file not found

Harald von Aschen harald.von.aschen at gmx.de
Thu Jan 15 01:19:49 CET 2004

Hi!

(System: Windows 98/II)

My problem is: I have uninstalled TeX Live 7 (2002er version from CD) and
installed the new TeXLive from the CD 09/2003 I received from Dante. And I
have done the online updates as described on
http://www.tug.org/texlive/bugs.html and http://www.fptex.org/upgrade.html.

But Latex is still unable to find my personal style files saved in
TeXLive\texmf-local\latex\harald even after installing all updates and
doing all maintenace features as rebuilding ls-R filenames databases.

If I put the style files in the directory where I my source tex-file is,
all is working. But if the style file is in texmf-local (or even if I put
it in texmf and rebuilding ls-R database) the file is not found.

The style file I use is the hint from Gerd Neugebauer in "Die TeXnische
Kommoedie" from Dante, issue 2/1996, pg. 44 ff. for using amssymb and bbold
for double stroked numers. Here is the relevant code I use in the style
file bbbold.sty:

\NeedsTeXFormat{LaTeX2e}
\ProvidesPackage{bbbold}[1994/04/06 Bbbold symbol package]
\newcommand{\bbbfamily}{\fontencoding{U}\fontfamily{bbold}\selectfont}
\newcommand{\textbbb}[1]{{\bbbfamily#1}}
\DeclareMathAlphabet{\mathbbb}{U}{bbold}{m}{n}
\endinput

With the 2002er Version of TeXLive I don't have any problems but here I'm
am helpless. (BTW: Why is the file still not found after putting it in the
texmf file structure? And it happens with all other style files I've
created, too.)

Errors:

This is e-TeXk, Version 3.141592-2.1 (Web2c 7.5.2) (format=latex
2004.1.14)  15 JAN 2004 01:17
entering extended mode
  %&-line parsing enabled.
  (f:/Programme/TeXLive/texmf/web2c/cp8bit.tcx)
**prosem.tex
(./prosem.tex
LaTeX2e <2001/06/01>
Babel <v3.7j> and hyphenation patterns for english, dumylang, nohyphenation, sp
anish, catalan, german, ngerman, portuguese, ukenglish, greek, french, dutch, l
atin, russian, ukrainian, danish, basque, polish, italian, czech, slovak, loade
d.
(f:/Programme/TeXLive/texmf/tex/latex/base/article.cls
Document Class: article 2001/04/21 v1.4e Standard LaTeX document class
(f:/Programme/TeXLive/texmf/tex/latex/base/size12.clo
File: size12.clo 2001/04/21 v1.4e Standard LaTeX file (size option)
(f:/Programme/TeXLive/texmf/tex/latex/base/exscale.sty
Package: exscale 1997/06/16 v2.1g Standard LaTeX package exscale
LaTeX Font Info:    Redeclaring symbol font `largesymbols' on input line 47.
LaTeX Font Info:    Overwriting symbol font `largesymbols' in version `normal'
(Font)                  OMX/cmex/m/n --> OMX/cmex/m/n on input line 47.
LaTeX Font Info:    Overwriting symbol font `largesymbols' in version `bold'
(Font)                  OMX/cmex/m/n --> OMX/cmex/m/n on input line 47.
\big at size=\dimen103
)
(f:/Programme/TeXLive/texmf/tex/latex/amsfonts/amssymb.sty
Package: amssymb 2002/01/22 v2.2d

(f:/Programme/TeXLive/texmf/tex/latex/amsfonts/amsfonts.sty
Package: amsfonts 2001/10/25 v2.2f
\@emptytoks=\toks14
\symAMSa=\mathgroup4
\symAMSb=\mathgroup5
LaTeX Font Info:    Overwriting math alphabet `\mathfrak' in version `bold'
(Font)                  U/euf/m/n --> U/euf/b/n on input line 132.
))

! LaTeX Error: File `bbbold.sty' not found.

Entering kpsewhich amssymb.sty results in
f:/Programme/TeXLive/texmf/tex/latex/amsfonts/amssymb.sty

and even the original bbold.sty is found:
f:/Programme/TeXLive/texmf/tex/latex/bbold/bbold.sty

but I'm unable to find bbbold.sty (I can put it in whatever directory I
want - not found) although the ls-R-file in texmf-local says

% ls-R -- filename database for kpathsea; do not change this line.
/dev/null

./:
ls-r

./latex:

./latex/harald:
bbbold.sty

./lsa37863:
lsa37863

Could this problem be a result of deinstalling the 2002er Version (I have
afterwards removed the complete directory) and the installing the new
version so that there could be a file I have forgotten to delete?
Autoexec.bat seems to be o.k. after putting the fpTeX-variables on top as I
have done with the old version:

REM --- Added by fpTeX (14/01/2004 00:59) ---
set
PERL5LIB=F:\Programme\TeXLive\xemtex\perl\lib;F:\Programme\TeXLive\xemtex\perl\site\lib
set PATH=F:\PROGRA~1\TEXLIVE\BIN\WIN32;%PATH%
set TEXMFCNF=F:\Programme\TeXLive\texmf-var\web2c
REM --- End of fpTeX additions ---

Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards, Harald