[tex-live] Re: 8 bit again

Olaf Weber olaf at infovore.xs4all.nl
Fri Feb 27 21:13:50 CET 2004

Hans Hagen writes:

> Hi,
> It looks like 8 bit chars can only be influenced in tcx files when the
> char code is > 127, i.e. there is no way to write 'normal' codes <32
> to a file. Whatever i try, I always get those ^^whatever escapes. For
> some applications i really use the 'verbose' tokens, and there was a
> time that it worked. If this is indeed a limitation, then it renders
> tex useless for some applications.

> so, this does not work in tcs files

> 0x00   0x00  %
> 0x01   0x01  %
> 0x02   0x02  %
> 0x03   0x03  %
> 0x04   0x04  %
> 0x05   0x05  %
> 0x06   0x06  %
> 0x07   0x07  %
> etc

As far as I can tell it does work.  One thing to note is that I'm not
working from the TeXlive sources, and the major difference between my
sources and current TeXlive is that I haven't merged encTeX yet.
Perhaps there's a problem there?

By the way, also note that cp8bit.tcx does less than its name might
suggest.

--
Olaf Weber