[tex-live] Problems installing doublestroke ps-1 fonts and updmap

Harald von Aschen harald.von.aschen at gmx.de
Thu Feb 5 21:02:45 CET 2004

At 19:39 05.02.04 +0100, Thomas Esser wrote:

Hi Thomas,

Thank you so much for your fast answer!

> > C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\susaneu>updmap --enable MixedMap dstroke.map
> > Kpathsea released!
> > using config file f:/Programme/TeXLive/texmf-var/web2c/updmap.cfg
> > f:/Programme/TeXLive/texmf-var/web2c/updmap.cfg unchanged. Map files not
> > recreat
> > ed.
>
>Please check the content of
>f:/Programme/TeXLive/texmf-var/web2c/updmap.cfg.  If it already contains
>a line "MixedMap dstroke.map", it makes no sense to --enable it again.
>In that case, just run updmap without any further commandline argument.
>It will rebuild all map files, then.

Thank you. I'm so sorry, I have checked this file already, no dstroke.map
included.

[...]

>You actually might run into trouble by using a wrong dvips.map /
>pdftex.map due to the overblown search path in TeX Live 2003.
>Please, try something like
>   dvips -d 64 sample2e -o
>to see if the newly generated dvips.map is used or some other file
>in a different texmf tree. In that case, remove the old file that
>shadows the new one.

Hm, here it seems dvips is using
"texmf-var/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts.map":

dvips -d 64 sample2e -o sample2e.ps > harald.log

C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\susaneu>dvips -d 64 sample2e -o sample2e.ps
kdebug:fopen(f:/Programme/TeXLive/texmf-var/dvips/config/config.ps, r) =>
0x7c38
b548
kdebug:fclose(0x7c38b548) => 0
kdebug:fopen(f:/Programme/TeXLive/texmf-var/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts.map,
r) => 0x7c38b548
kdebug:fclose(0x7c38b548) => 0
This is dvips(k) 5.94a Copyright 2003 Radical Eye Software (www.radicaleye.com)
kdebug:fopen(sample2e.dvi, rb) => 0x7c38b548
kdebug:fopen(f:/Programme/TeXLive/texmf/dvips/base/tex.pro, rb) => 0x7c38b568
kdebug:fclose(0x7c38b568) => 0
' TeX output 2004.02.05:2030' -> sample2e.ps
kdebug:fopen(f:/Programme/TeXLive/texmf/dvips/tetex/f7b6d320.enc, rb) =>
0x7c38b
568
kdebug:fclose(0x7c38b568) => 0
kdebug:fopen(f:/Programme/TeXLive/texmf/fontname/texfonts.map, r) => 0x7c38b568
kdebug:fclose(0x7c38b568) => 0
[...]

> > from BlueSky-Research on my old Mac but I'm trying to port many of my
> > documents to Windows and TexLive and there it takes me very long to get
> > them run because the TDS conventions and the search paths are making the
> > most trouble for me.
>
>map files did not have their proper TDS location before Feb. 2003. Now,
>we have to get it right in applications and distributions which takes
>some time.

You are doing here a great job! I'm normally getting the distributions from
dante on CD once a year so only this Tex-Live-Version makes is necessary
for me to do some updates as mentioned in the Texnische Kommoedie 4/2003.
This problems I have seems to be interesting because I really don't what to
do any more to fix it. Perhaps I have done something wrong during
installation or a setup file has wrong arguments. But I haven't changed
anything for now _by hand_, only with the configuration tools from tex-live
distribution and perhaps there could be a problem? Changing the
configuration files by hand might be not a great problem but then I can't
use updmap any more or have to start "shadowing" the orginal files with my
versions.

>TeX Live 2003 already tries to go the "be compatible" route by having
>the old and the new locations in the search path. I think that this is
>doing more harm than good and that we should not make that mistake again.
>
>But, again and again I hear this "give us one year" argument. I have
>already given lots of arguments against it and I am tired in repeating
>them.

Thank you for this info. As of my view as a user: I have to reorder my
files to make them working unter Tex-Live so it would be no great problem
to change all "in once" instead of changing again next version. But
nevertheless this is not such a big problem because it takes me deeper in
understanding the underlying system.

> > I'm a little bit suprised what I'm doing wrong here and my only idea is to
> > add them totally by hand to the .cfg and .ps configuration files?
>
>Don't give up. :-)

Thank you so much!

Best regards, Harald