[tex-live] map, enc and bugs.html

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Feb 4 20:00:06 CET 2004

      TEXMF={/local,/main}

Yes indeed, the default TEXMF is:
{$HOMETEXMF,!!$VARTEXMF,$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFMAIN}

      /local/pdftex/foo.map
      /main/dvips/foo.map
    then the *second* and not the first file is found.

Really?  Because of the relative locations of pdftex and dvips in the
lower components of the path?  That seems like a bug in the path
searching.

    I think this is another good example why search paths should be *simple*.

I don't think anyone is arguing the principle.

Meanwhile, I'm afraid I still don't understand the problem or the
remedy, since Staszek said the text I posted, based on Thomas's email,
was wrong.