[tex-live] Re: Need some help with utopia mapping/locations(?) problem (updmap)

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sun Sep 28 18:02:37 CEST 2003

On Sep 28, 2003, at 4:19 PM, Thomas Esser wrote:

> All, I can say is that I have changed all search path in texmf.cnf to
> point also to the new locations for map files.

Which search PATH is that (for pdfTeX and dvips)? Hmm can it be that
old psfonts.map entries are found before the new ones in the new
locations?

TEXPSHEADERS =
.;$TEXMF/{{dvips,fonts/{map,enc}/{dvips,}},pdftex,tex,fonts/type1}//

I think so. So what happens is that updmap has begun writing in a new
location, but that existing files in previous locations (dvips) will be
found first. Am I correct? Yes I am, and the funny thing is that what
it finds is the one in the distributed main tree and not in
texmf.local:

hermione-a:~/tmp gerben$ kpsewhich pdftex.map
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/dvips/config/pdftex.map
hermione-a:~/tmp gerben$ updmap >&/dev/null
hermione-a:~/tmp gerben$ kpsewhich pdftex.map
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/dvips/config/pdftex.map

Ugh. Can we/I change TEXPSHEADERS so that the new locations in font are
found before the ones in TEXMFMAIN etc?

BTW, texconfig localsetup also complains about the new variable:

hermione-a:~/tmp gerben$ sudo texconfig localsetup

texconfig has found the following environment variables set:

  TEXPSHEADERS =
.;/{{fonts/{map,enc}/{dvips,}},dvips,pdftex,tex,fonts/type1}//

This path prohibits a default expansion. as it contains no : at either
end, nor :: somewhere in the middle.  Please make sure, that these paths
are ok, and otherwise change or unset them.  If you continue with wrong
values for the above variables, texconfig might run into trouble when
locating files on the disk.

Note that you can refer to the default path by giving an "empty" path
component (i.e. a colon in front or in the end, or a doubled colon
somewhere in the middle).

If you set TEXINPUTS, e.g. to :~/TeX/macros, (La)TeX will search along
the default path and then in ~/TeX/macros.

For more information, see the Kpathsea and the teTeX manual.

Press RETURN to continue (or Control-C to abort)...
mktexlsr: Updating /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/ls-R...
mktexlsr: Done.