[tex-live] [Bernd Raichle <raichle@Informatik.Uni-Stuttgart.DE>] Re: [fptex] new binaries

Fabrice Popineau Fabrice.Popineau@supelec.fr
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 14:10:35 +0100

About the compressed file system, Bernd Raichle came out with a nice
idea. Here it is. I really like this one, given that :
- it is quite simple to implement (ok we need to pay attention to
mktexlsr)
- it is a convenience and it can mix well with the current scheme.

Fabrice

From: Bernd Raichle <raichle@Informatik.Uni-Stuttgart.DE>
To: <fptex@tug.org>
Subject: Re: [fptex] new binaries
Sender: fptex-admin@tug.org
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 11:37:29 +0100 (MET)

Mmmh, if ZIP files are integrated it is best done in a more
transparent way.  A filename like ``blabla.zip//filename'' assumes
that (a) there is a ZIP file and (b) that you cannot unpack the files
in the ZIP and use the unpacked files anymore.

Thus it is better to use ``balbla/filename'' in your TeX document as
usually and integrate a more or less intelligent logic in kpathsea
which uses an existing ZIP file with the name of a directory part if
there is no such directory.  A given filename ``a/b/c/d/e'' will then
result in searches for file `e' in `a/b/c/d.zip', for file `d/e' in
`a/b/c.zip', for file `c/d/e' in `a/b.zip', or file `b/c/d/e' in
`a.zip', if there is no such directory but a zip archive ...

-bernd