[tex-k] Potential bugs in TFM loading in TeX

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Jan 31 00:18:19 CET 2022

Hi Tyge - there is no single coherent statement of what is checked for
and what is not, so far as I know. I suspect the omission of some checks
was not a deliberate choice (should I add this if statement or not), but
rather a lack of (desire to) test(ing) all possible input values (not
wanting to spend time making all the craziest possible tfms to make sure
TeX can handle them).

In any case, I think the basic answer nowadays is, if it's not already
checked for, Knuth doesn't feel the need to check it.  It would have to
be something truly unusual, relating to more-or-less normal input and
files, for us to pass on such a bug to him.

As for references ...

I believe Knuth discussed not checking for all pathological input cases
in a previous tune-up report. Sorry, I don't remember which one, maybe 2008?

There is the statement of not checking for arithmetic overflow in
tex.web that you already know about, but I'll quote here anyway:

    The present implementation of \TeX\ does not check for overflow when
    @^overflow in arithmetic@>
    dimensions are added or subtracted. This could be done by inserting a
    few dozen tests of the form `\ignorespaces|if x>=@'10000000000 then
    @t\\{report\_overflow}@>|', but the chance of overflow is so remote that
    such tests do not seem worthwhile.

(Also mentioned at https://tug.org/texmfbug/nobug.html#overflow)

And I asked him recently if it would be ok to change TeX itself to do
overflow checking, and he said that was fine.  I'll incorporate his msg
below. I think adding more overflow checks would be a good thing,
nowadays, and would welcome (very carefully considered :) changes to do so.

Thanks,
Karl