[tex-k] Bug-report for the TeXbook: Not all non-primitive control-sequences are defined, ultimately, in terms of the primitive ones.

Laurence.Finston at gmx.net Laurence.Finston at gmx.net
Sat Dec 10 00:07:47 CET 2022

I was inclined to dismiss Ulrich's observation, but having given it some thought, I think he is actually correct.  I do believe that Knuth meant the "about 900 control sequences" mentioned further up on page 9 and not all possible macros one could define.  However, plain TeX defines \empty and \space without using any primitive control sequences, so the sentence "All other control sequences are defined, ultimately, in terms of the primitive ones." seems to me to be genuinely incorrect.

If it was changed to "primitive operations" (which would include "typeset a character" and "insert glue") and the "null operation" or "nothing" (for the expansion to nothing of \empty) was explicitly included, then I think it would be correct.

Just my two cents.