[tex-k] Bug-report for the TeXbook: Not all non-primitive control-sequences are defined, ultimately, in terms of the primitive ones.

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at gmx.de
Fri Dec 9 21:57:22 CET 2022

On 2022-12-09 at 12:35:06 -0500, Don Hosek wrote:

 > I think that Ukrich was thinking that because word doesnÕt have any
 > control sequences itÕs a contradiction of the statement on 300, but
 > I would say that this comes down to semantics and is unlikely to be
 > revised to change the highlighted sentence to read ÒÉin terms of
 > the primitive ones and character tokensÓ

Hi Don,
I must admit that I don't understand what's unclear.  As far as I
understand Knuth's statement there are primitives which allow you to
write your own macros (other control sequences).  You can't write
your own macros without primitives like \def, \edef, \csname, etc.

Regards,
  Reinhard

 > On Dec 9, 2022 at 10:00:42, Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at gmx.de>
 > wrote:
 >
 > > On 2022-12-09 at 04:51:56 +0100, ud.usenetcorrespondence at web.de wrote:
 > >
 > > > Probably this has not yet been reported.
 > > >
 > > > TeXbook, Chapter 3: Controlling TeX  says:

 > > > I doubt that ***all other control sequences*** are defined,
 > > > ultimately, in terms of the primitive ones.
 > > >
 > > > For example, with
 > > >
 > > >    \def\mymacro{word}
 > > >
 > > > the control sequence \mymacro is not defined in terms of "the
 > > > primitive ones" at all.
 > >
 > > \def is a primitive.
 > >
 > > Regards,
 > >  Reinhard
 > >
 > > > The control sequence \mymacro is defined in terms of explicit
 > > > non-active character tokens only while explicit non-active
 > > > character tokens are not considered primitives.
 > > >
 > > > Sincerely
 > > >
 > > > Ukrich Diez
 > > >

 > > --
 > > Reinhard Kotucha                            Phone: +49-511-3373112
 > > Marschnerstr. 25
 > > D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at gmx.de

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at gmx.de