[tex-k] METAFONT/MetaPost: Display-size fonts and limit on numerical values

Laurence Finston Laurence.Finston at gmx.de
Fri Apr 15 04:43:13 CEST 2022

Thanks, Karl and Werner, for the links.  I'll try one or both of these packages.  I found the TUGboat articles a while ago and read them, but the way to actually convert a font didn't leap out at me.

I would strongly prefer to be able to create usable display-size fonts using just the TeX/MF system without involving PS.  I haven't yet tried printing anything out.  However, 600 or 1200dpi don't seem like very high resolutions for, say, a 10cm X 10cm character, even if they would work.

I downloaded and looked at the MP source code and it doesn't exactly take you by the hand and explain how it works step-by-step.  Somehow, I doubt that the "numbersystem" code could just be plugged into the C version of MF and "just work".

It appears that there may not be a satisfactory solution for this problem, at least not with a reasonable amount of effort, so I may have to go with the PS approach.  On the other hand, there doesn't seem to be much of an advantage to doing that as opposed to just staying within MP and imitating typesetting with TeX by lining up boxes with the characters "by hand", since it wouldn't be long texts, anyway.