[tex-k] Is there a way to find the error line?

Wolfgang Helbig helbig at mailbox.org
Mon Mar 22 11:28:58 CET 2021

Dear Yannis,

in Pascal, the semicolon seperates two statements, whereas in ALGOL and
C, the semicolon terminates a statement.

Or in Pascal, the semicolon is never part of a statement and in C it is
always is part of a statement.

In Pascal, the empty string is a statement, called "empty statement". It
does nothing.
So in parts of the program, where the syntax rules allow one or more
statements, you can always put the semicolon without changing the
meaning of the program.

But there are places, where only one statement is accepted, notably the
'then' part of an if statement: A semicolon after the statement in the
'then'-part ends the 'if'-statement, which is followed by the empty
statement. If your if-statement does have an else part, an 'else' is
following the empty statement. But 'else' may only follow the 'then'
part of the 'if'-statement, not the if-statement as a whole.

Unfortunately, some people misuse the empty statement and feel licensed
to terminate every statement with a semicolon -- A confusing step
backward in the evolution of ALGOL-like languages. A step forward of
course is Dijkstra's Guarded Commands notation. In fact, the empty
statement is the very first statement in Dijkstra: "A Discipline of
Programming", 1976, p. 25. and in Jensen, Wirth: "Pascal User Manual and
Report", 3rd ed. 1985, p. 169.

Alas, compilers are rare for dot.not, as I prefer to call Dijkstra's
notation. You recognize by its dots in the notation for arrays.

greetings,
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Helbig