[tex-k] Is there a way to find the error line?

Yannis Haralambous yannis1962 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 11:06:56 CET 2021

dear Karl,

thanks for your answer. I finally found the error, it was an unnecessary semicolon after an "end".

I have a hard time finding the precise rules: when are semicolons after "end" necessary / optional / forbidden?

(The only thing I know for sure is that the semicolon is forbidden when we are in an if-test
and an "else" is following:

if xxx begin xxx end else begin xxx end;   <--- no semicolon between "end" and "else"

but beside that I couldn't find precise information and TeX's Pascal code is either not very consistent
with respect to semicolons or maybe it follows some pattern that I wasn't able to find out yet…)

Thanks again for your help,

Yannis

> Le 21 mars 2021 à 02:57, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> a écrit :
>
>    Is there a way to localize the error?
>
> For the record, this is the brief reply I sent to when Yannis asked me
> separately. It's all I have. Web2c is a lousy development environment,
> no question.

> Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2021 11:19:09 -0700
> From: Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org>
> To: yannis1962 at gmail.com
> Subject: Re: Debugging
>
>    Can you tell me how to localize the error?
>
> There is no good way. Just have to go back to the original, make sure it
> works, and add individual lines until you find the error, which
> apparently has something to do with "true" and a semicolon.
>
> Sometimes the .c file(s) left in (in your case)
>  /var/folders/1n/fvs3dd2d5gqghwcw8khb41_h0000gn/T/
> as given by the error msg provide a clue. [...]

 <http://www.imt-atlantique.fr/>	Yannis HARALAMBOUS
Professor
Computer Science Department
UMR CNRS 6285 Lab-STICC
 <http://perso.telecom-bretagne.eu/yannisharalambous/> <https://twitter.com/y_haralambous> <https://www.linkedin.com/in/yannis-haralambous-5529073?trk=hp-identity-name>Technopôle Brest-Iroise CS 83818
29238 Brest Cedex 3, France
Une école de l'IMT <http://www.imt.fr/>
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.     (Rich Kulawiec)