[tex-k] Building svn57874.tar.gz (from github)

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Mar 5 00:07:47 CET 2021

    # Make sure we get expected values from the test texmf.cnf.
    val=`./kpsewhich --var-value=maxpr`
    ++ ./kpsewhich --var-value=maxpr
    + val=100
    test x"$val" = x200 || exit 1
    + test x100 = x200
    + exit 1

To debug, set the environment variable
  TEXMFCNF=<srcdir>/tests/cnfline; export TEXMFCNF
(where <srcdir> = .../Build/source/texk/kpathsea)

Then, in <builddir>/texk/kpathsea, run
  ./kpsewhich --debug=-1 --var-value=maxpr >&/tmp/out
  gzip /tmp/out

And send me out.gz. I'm not sure if that will show much in this case,
but it's a start.

The above (with the addition of the --debug) is what the test is doing.

The test texmf.cnf is simple:
maxpr=100
maxpr.kpsewhich=200
othervar=300

So I can't explain why it's returning 100 (of course it doesn't happen
for me, or apparently anyone else building TL), unless Slackware has
patched kpathsea or kpsewhich in some unexpected way. -k