[tex-k] bug in mf.web?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Jun 4 00:33:43 CEST 2021

    module 37 says that "we access the string pool only via" si and so,

That does seem like a bug in the text, at least, given the usage in
str_vs_str.

    but if it is -128..127 using two's complement, the function may
    return wrong results.

On the other hand, it seems possible that Knuth would change str_vs_str
to also use si() and so(). It would be up to him. Meanwhile, I think I
agree with Don H that it's up to the implementor to provide code that
does the right thing.

Anyway, I'll put it on the pile. --thanks, karl.