[tex-k] bug in mf.web?

胡亚捷 (Hu Yajie) 2500418497 at qq.com
Wed Jun 2 18:57:55 CEST 2021

I wonder if this is a bug in mf.web: module 37 says that "we access the
string pool only via" si and so, which convert between ASCII characters
(0..255) and their internal representations in the string pool (either
0..255 or -128..127). However, the function str_vs_str of module 46
fails to do so and fetches characters from the string pool directly, so
it compares not the ASCII codes but their internal representations.

This is harmless if the internal representation is also 0..255, or if
it is -128..127 by shifting the whole range by 128 (since the relative
order of characters will be preserved); but if it is -128..127 using
two's complement, the function may return wrong results.