[tex-k] TeX erranously expands tokens from a token variable

Wolfgang Helbig helbig at mailbox.org
Mon Aug 9 11:20:39 CEST 2021

Dear Karl,

thank you for the explanation! Again!

> In the \good case, \the\toks0 number is terminated by the space (as you
> know, I'm sure). -k
I knew , that it is wise to put a space after a numeric constant, but I
didn't know that TeX might expand the next token. I should have
remembered  A208, line 12. Now I know (again).

But in an expanded definition, TeX must not expand any tokens that are
produced by \the. (A216 line 3). The exception from this rule should be
told to the gentle reader somewhere. I'd suggest to mention that TeX
will expand all tokens of \toks2 if the space after \toks0 is missing.
(A330, line -10).

Greetings,
--

Wolfgang Helbig