[tex-k] [WEB] Compile TANGLE with Free Pascal

Andreas Scherer andreas_tex at freenet.de
Thu Aug 5 16:44:36 CEST 2021

Dear all,

Today I succeeded to compile the original TANGLE.WEB with the Free
Pascal compiler (https://www.freepascal.org). The change file
https://github.com/ascherer/web/blob/master/tangle.ch contains the
necessary modifications to adapt Knuth's Pascal-H code to the
conventions of FPC.

Starting with the TANGLE executable of TeX Live, the incantation

$> tangle -uppercase tangle
$> fpc tangle.p
$> ./tangle tangle.web tangle.ch tangle.pas tangle.pool

produces identical source files TANGLE.P and TANGLE.PAS.

Note that the "original" TANGLE(.WEB) must contain a bug, because both
variants of the TANGLE executable issue an error message '1 of the
preceding lines failed to match' if I add line 306 of TANGLE.WEB into
the TANGLE.CH file.  Otherwise, I'm happy with the result.

Cheers,
Andreas