[tex-k] File searching very slow

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Apr 14 01:03:09 CEST 2021

Hi Johannes,

    I think the  ls-R files are not read / not used.

That would have been my guess too, but the logs indicate that the ls-R
files are there and being used. The slow search, like the quick search,
ends with:

kdebug:db:match(/usr/local/texlive/2021/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/minimal.cls,/usr/local/texlive/2021/texmf-dist/tex/latex//) = 1

That "db:match... = 1" means the file was found in the "db" aka ls-R.

I assume the slowness is repeatable. How much slower? The binaries
themselves are different (x86_64-darwin for 2019 vs. the new universal
arm+intel for 2021), although this should not cause any noticeable
slowdown as far as I know.

Is there any difference in the ~/Library directories on the two systems?
Maybe mv them aside just to be sure.

You could try mv-ing the texmf-dist ls-R too, to see if it makes a
difference, i.e., makes things even slower.

I'm not seeing any other notable differences in the logs :(, and no one
else has reported the problem. Maybe something different in the OS
configuration?

Sorry, wish I had better ideas. -k