[tex-k] Uninterruptible loop in web2c TeX

Igor Liferenko igor.liferenko at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 11:14:17 CEST 2020

Hi Karl,

> Please help me to understand what is the intended effect of ^C when
> TeX is waiting for input.
> As I understand it, the effect is the same as pressing ^M when nothing
> was input, with the
> only difference that "interrupt" is set to 1.

Especially, I have a hard time understanding why it prints

    (Please type a command or say `\end')

if I press Enter in response to ? prompt which appears after ^C.
I think this message is not appropriate here - it is only appropriate when Enter
is pressed in response to * prompt.

And why TeX is silently terminated after ^C is pressed in response to ** prompt?

Thanks,
Igor