[tex-k] \showbox outputs result on terminal in ** prompt

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Oct 3 23:40:45 CEST 2020

        \setbox0=\hbox{a} \showbox0

    The output is printed online. The same command entered
    in the * prompt says "! OK (see the transcript file)."
    Is this intended behavior?

Our idea is that yes, it's expected, because TeX doesn't log anything
right away in response to the **, since it's waiting to see if an \input
filename is given, so it can give a nice name to the log file (instead
of texput.log). If you have a theory otherwise, let me know. --thanks, karl.