[tex-k] another bunch of typos in The METAFONTbook (as I read it through)

胡亚捷 (Hu Yajie) 2500418497 at qq.com
Sun Jun 14 05:03:35 CEST 2020

Line 21, page 150 of The MFbook begins with the formula
    $2\min\bigl(\vert\sin\theta\vert,\vert\cos\theta\vert\bigr)$
The \vert's should be marked with \left and \right, otherwise you get
    2min(| sin theta|, | cos theta|)
The italic correction of the theta isn't enough to compensate the extra space.

The word "incr" is typeset in roman type on page 173 (line 9) and page 176
(first paragraph), but boldface in the program on page 183.

The word "tensepath" appears in text italic (twice) on page 128, but
in boldface (twice) on page 298.

The word "hide" appears in boldface on pages 116 (line 8) and 262 (line -8)
but in text italic on pages 167 (last exercise), 173 (in the program)
and 250 (first answer). [Also, on page 143 it appears in roman type between
single quotes; double quotes may be better, cf. page 227, line -3.]

The programs on pages 106 and 115 uses the variable h_height#, but the answer
to exercise 15.5 on page 24.7 seems to refer to it as hheight#.

Page 189, line -6 (not counting quotations) reads better if the typewriter-font
double quotes are changed to roman-font single quotes, since they do not denote
METAFONT strings.

(I was under the impression that the tex-k mailing list was mainly for
community-developed software like pdfTeX, METAPOST, web2c, etc.,
so I reported most typos to karl privately. Maybe I should post here more.)