[tex-k] make_tex errors from missing font names

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 15:45:19 CEST 2020

If I try the following plain tex in xetex

\font\zz="DejaVu Serif"

\zz   abc

\font\zzz="DejaVu Sreif"

\zzz   abc

\bye

Then the first one works but the second, with the typo, fails, but before
the expected  not found error you get an internal error about the space

kpathsea:make_tex: Invalid filename `DejaVu Sreif', contains ' '

! Font \zzz="DejaVu Sreif" not loadable: Metric (TFM) file or installed
font no
t found.

This is particularly disturbing if you use latex's fontspec interface as
that tries to find bold and italic variants so you end up with multiple
spurious warnings:

kpathsea:make_tex: Invalid filename `Andika Blub', contains ' '
kpathsea:make_tex: Invalid filename `Andika Blub', contains ' '
kpathsea:make_tex: Invalid filename `Andika Blub/BI', contains ' '
kpathsea:make_tex: Invalid filename `Andika Blub', contains ' '
kpathsea:make_tex: Invalid filename `Andika Blub/B', contains ' '
kpathsea:make_tex: Invalid filename `Andika Blub', contains ' '
kpathsea:make_tex: Invalid filename `Andika Blub/I', contains ' '
kpathsea:make_tex: Invalid filename `Andika Blub', contains ' '

! Package fontspec Error: The font "Andika Blub" cannot be found.

If you use the xetex filename syntax with a missing file

\font\zz="[anything]"

Then you get these errors whether or not there is a space:

kpathsea:make_tex: Invalid filename `[anything]', contains '['

Ulrike tells me that the miktex version avoids the make_tex errors.

Could the make_tex call preserve the original quotes so that the space
isn't a problem, and [ is handled as a system filename, so silently
skipped?, while spaces in font filenames are rare, spaces in internal font
names (which is what is intended here) are not rare at all.

David