[tex-k] Minor prototype fix in kpathsea header file

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Oct 20 00:10:51 CEST 2019

    In the kpathsea source code folder, there are two files, "configure"

configure is executable in the repository, I promise you. Depending on
how you got the sources, I wouldn't be surprised if the x bit got lost,
but I can't guess that. To do a successful build you'll need to preserve
the permissions, since manually doing chmod a+x on everything that's
needed would be maddening and probably non-reproducible. (Or maybe it's
just that you're looking at the directory in the Mac GUI and the GUI
doesn't know about or like shell scripts. I have no idea.)

However ... Tom pointed you to the build-one-package section of tlbuild
(http://tug.org/texlive/doc/tlbuild.html#Build-one-package). Those are
the best instructions I've been able to come up with for building a
subset of TL. For kpathsea, replace "dvipdfm-x" in the example commands
with "kpathsea". You might also have to add "--enable-missing" to the
configure command.

The rsync command given in that section should get you the source tree
with permissions intact.

    I don't want to build an entire texlive.

You don't have to build everything, but you have to get the entire TL
source tree. (Sorry.) ... Well, technically speaking, there are ways
around that, but it's a lot simpler if you just eat the network bytes
and get everything. (Per the third-to-last paragraph in that section.)

    I can create the missing "HAVE_..." constants and "c-auto.h" file by
    hand if I have to

My advice is: Don't go that way. If you blindly follow the
build-one-package recipe without optimizing it, you should end up with a
kpsewhich you can run under the debugger. Looking forward to your bug
reports :).

I'll see about updating the kpathsea manual. --thanks, karl.