[tex-k] [cweb] New and extended CWEB based on CWEBbin [RFH]

Andreas Scherer andreas_tex at freenet.de
Wed Nov 14 14:16:05 CET 2018

Dear all,

after two weeks of intensive work, I have finished a first candidate for
testing of a new and extended CWEB in TeXLive based on my ongoing
CWEBbin project (https://github.com/ascherer/cwebbin).

Under normal circumstances, I would create a PR on Github from
https://github.com/ascherer/texlive-source/tree/integrate-cwebbin-in-texlive
against https://github.com/TeX-Live/texlive-source , but that is quite
large. Please clone 'my' texlive-source repo and test it before we can
go further merging the new stuff in the svn repo.

Short intro: I incorporated PEB's *-w2c.ch in the stacked and tie'd set
of changefiles in CWEBbin and recreated extended versions with the
commands listed in cwebbin.spec (--with texlive):
https://github.com/ascherer/cwebbin/blob/master/cwebbin.spec ; these
together with the 'comm-foo.h' @include file (replacing 'common.h') make
the bulk of the extended CWEB in the TL build system.

Additional differences occur in the *boot.c modules, which were
recreated based on the new *-w2c.ch files (and the original CWEB 3.64c).

New features:

* CWEAVE learned options -i, -o, and -lX (see the updated 'cweb.man').

* Both CTANGLE and CWEAVE are localized with 'GNU gettext' and (partial)
catalogs for German and Italian are included. If the two *.mo files are
moved to /usr/share/locale/{de,it}/LC_MESSAGES, both programs answer in
non-English slang. I am considering to apply for help on the GNU
Translation Project for more translations based on the cweb.pot file.

* Translated cwebmac.tex files for French, German, and Italian (in
texinputs/), to be loaded with '-lf', '-ld', and '-li' resp.

* Extended lists of type definitions for C/C++ (in cwebinputs/). Long
strings with prefixes 'u', 'u8', 'U' are acknowledged in addition to 'L'
from standard-CWEB.

Please report your experiences with this new stuff to me or this list.

Enjoy,
Andreas