[tex-k] How Does One Create pk Files From A PostScript Font?

Jay F Shachter jay at m5.chicago.il.us
Thu Jun 7 17:10:05 CEST 2012

I have some PostScript definitions of fonts that I would like to use
in TeX.  I created the necessary tfm file by running afm2tfm on an afm
file that I had earlier created from the font definitions by using
$GS_HOME/lib/printafm.ps (part of the GhostScript distribution; I
observe, parenthetically, that the printafm procedure choked until I
modified the font definition by adding an otherwise unnecessary
FontName entry to the font dictionary).

At this point, I can, presumably (I have not tried it), create dvi
files using TeX.  The remaining unsolved problem is creating pk files
so that my TeX output can be rendered.  The (misnamed) ps2pk program
requires a .pfb or .psa file.  I have neither, only a .ps file
containing a dictionary definition indexed by the keys /FontName,
/FontType, /FontMatrix, /FontBBox, /PaintType, /FontInfo (which is
itself a dictionary), /Encoding, /Metrics, /CharStrings, and
/BuildChar.

Of course, I understand that the name of a file means nothing.  I can
certainly copy or rename the .ps file to a .pfa file.  The more
substantive problem is that ps2pk seems to insist on a Type 1 font.
Thus:

  $ cp OldJaffa.ps OldJaffa.pfa
  $ ps2pk OldJaffa
  psfile = ./OldJaffa.pfa
  afmfile = ./OldJaffa.afm
  basename of OldJaffa = OldJaffa
  basename of ./OldJaffa.pfa = OldJaffa.pfa
  Type1OpenScalable error (result: -2) on ./OldJaffa.pfa

My PostScript files define Type 3 fonts, not Type 1 fonts.  How do I
use them with TeX?  Thank you in advance for any and all replies.  You
may reach me using any of the means indicated below.

			Jay F. Shachter
			6424 N Whipple St
			Chicago IL  60645-4111
				(1-773)7613784   landline