[tex-k] lcdf-typetools and TeX live

Eddie Kohler kohler at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Mar 2 22:11:08 CET 2009

Hi Peter,

I have immediate feedback on this, which is that --with is not appropriate here.

 From GNU coding standards:

‘--enable-feature[=parameter]’
     Configure the package to build and install an optional user-level
facility called feature. This allows users to choose which optional features
to include. Giving an optional parameter of ‘no’ should omit feature, if it is
built by default.

     No ‘--enable’ option should ever cause one feature to replace another. No
‘--enable’ option should ever substitute one useful behavior for another
useful behavior. The only proper use for ‘--enable’ is for questions of
whether to build part of the program or exclude it.

‘--with-package’
     The package package will be installed, so configure this package to work
with package.

     Possible values of package include ‘gnu-as’ (or ‘gas’), ‘gnu-ld’,
‘gnu-libc’, ‘gdb’, ‘x’, and ‘x-toolkit’.

     Do not use a ‘--with’ option to specify the file name to use to find
certain files. That is outside the scope of what ‘--with’ options are for.

The autoconf manual has similar language.

I'm not a standards lawyer, but it seems neither necessary nor appropriate to
change an existing behavior (on which some people might depend) into a less
standard behavior, just to satisfy texlive's packaging.

If you want texlive to pay attention to --without-cfftot1 rather than
--disable-cfftot1 (but why?), please build that support into the top level
makefile and translate it to --enable-cfftot1 for lcdf-typetools configuration.

Or maybe explain to me in more detail why this change.

Eddie