[tex-k] Libtool and cxx-runtime-hack

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Thu Jan 22 14:46:45 CET 2009

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009, Peter Breitenlohner wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jan 2009, Karl Berry wrote:
>
>>    Can you please forward the tarball to everyone doing a binary build
>>    for such systems and ask them to test this new cxx-runtime-hack
>>    mechanism (ASAP).
>>
>> I mailed tlbuild at tug.org with it.  (Perhaps you or others here would
>> like to be on that list, BTW, lists.tug.org/tlbuild ...)
>
> at the moment I can live without being on that list.

Hi Karl,

contrary to what I said two days ago, please do add me to the tlbuild list.

Doing some more tests, it turned out that the cxx-runtime-hack as in
cxx-test-1.0 doesn't work for programs using additional (uninstalled or
system) libraries.  The problem is that "libtool --mode=link --tag=CXX $(CXXLD)"
reorders its arguments before passing them to CXXLD=CXX.

I have almost finished cxx-test-1.1 doing things differently: the libtool
command line is left unchanged, but CXXLD is defined as a wrapper script
invoking CXX with '-Wl,-Bstatic ...' appended to the command line.

This only applies to linking programs, for shared C++ libraries libtool
always uses $(CXX) and automatically appends '-lstdc++ ...'.  That should,
however, not be much of a problem.  For a TL binary build one certainly
would have an implicit or explicit '--disable-shared' and would not use any
installed shared C++ libraries, whereas shared libraries of any kind are OK
for distros or private builds.

I'll shortly announce cxx-test-1.1 on the tlbuild list.

Regards
Peter Breitenlohner <peb at mppmu.mpg.de>