[tex-k] problem with beamer

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Jan 31 23:09:02 CET 2007

  > Hi!  I am trying to run latex-beamer-3.06 on my iMac and I have a
  > problem.  I jave 3 machines: . a G5 iMac with Tiger as original
  > OS, there beamer works without problem, using iTexMax 1.4 . a G4
  > iBook : I just installed Tiger 10.4.8 OS, and beamer works well
  > with iTexMac2 (but not with iTexMax 1.4) . another, older G5 iMac,
  > on which I just installed Tiger OS : no way of running
  > latex-beamer!!

Better places to ask general questions like this are the texhax
mailing list or the comp.text.tex newsgroup.  The tex-k list is for
discussions about web2c.  But web2c is not an end-user distribution,
though teTeX is based on it.  There are also much more people on
texhax and comp.text.tex and it's more likely that you'll find someone
there who can provide better help there.

See:

  > I always get the same error message:

  > /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/pdftex:
  > unrecognized option `-output-format' Try
  > `/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/pdftex --help'
  > for more information.

  > Trying to go to that help-file produces only uncomprehensible
  > comments...

This is not a help-file but a program.  What you have seen on screen
is supposed to be understood by computers, not by humans.

The message means: type

   pdftex --help

on the command line.

  > What should I do?

If pdftex --help does not mention the -output-format option, your TeX
distribution is probably too old.

You can also try

   pdftex --version

on all your systems, maybe this gives you a hint.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25