[tex-k] Bug in TeX (or LaTeX)

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Feb 19 23:41:17 CET 2005

  > I am using LaTeX.  When I type `latex', it displays the normal
  > `This is TeX' banner.  If I type \end at the prompt, it just
  > displays `LaTeX2e <1998/06/01>'.  If I type \end agian, it exits,
  > but in a rude way:

This is not bug, latex needs the \end for its environments, for
instance \end{document}.

The correct way to abort latex is to say \stop.

Of course, it is misleading if latex says

*
(Please type a command or say `\end')
*

if you press RETURN.  BTW., it's not latex (the macro package) which
issues this message but tex (the program).

I doubt that this behavior can be easily changed, but at least this is
a well known problem.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25