[tex-k] Bug in TeX (or LaTeX)

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Feb 20 01:59:19 CET 2005

  > On 2005-02-19 19:15:27 +0100, Sam Lauber wrote:
  >> I am using LaTeX.  When I type `latex', it displays the normal
  >> `This is TeX' banner.  If I type \end at the prompt, it just
  >> displays `LaTeX2e <1998/06/01>'.  If I type \end

  > Your LaTeX is very old.

Indeed.  It's much too old.

  > \end is not a LaTeX command.

It is, but the meaning is different.

  >> But strangely, with the LaTeX executable running plain, the

  > There is no "LaTeX executable".

It depends.  Under UNIX you might be right if latex is a symlink
pointing to tex, but you are wrong if someone replaces the symlinks by
hard links.  Which one is the executable, then?

Under Windows (Fabrice explained it to me some years ago), there is an
executable for each program.  These files are quite small because they
do not much more than to load the real program which resides in a
shared library.

That means that latex is an executable which loads a DLL.

  > Please read the FAQ.

Which FAQ?

Regards,
  Reinhard