[tex-live] Re: [tex-k] TeX finding filenames with spaces

Pierre MacKay mackay at cs.washington.edu
Thu Jan 15 00:42:49 CET 2004

. . . by definition format independent.

Of course it is, and I wish there were fewer cases when such
intervention was needed.  My point is that with human-readable files
format independent intervention is grubby but possible.  I can edit
TeX source and PostScript output in a text editor.  I suppose I could
edit DVI in emacs, but because it is aggressively human-unreadable, I
don't even try.  Likewise with PDF.

I quite agree that the LaTeX folks have not yet taken color seriously
enough, but it is not likely that they soon will.  Some day, maybe.
Meanwhile there is still the problem of dealing with color spaces
in a purely text environment.  For graphics, you can dodge around
the problem by using EPS, (and hope that one of the transformation
bugs doesn't bite you on the way) but for type, the color space has
to be right there near the text.  How do you do that in something
you can't edit?

Pierre