[tex-hyphen] Preferences for hyphenation/word-breaking points?

Peter Mueller petermueller at ro.ru
Fri Feb 25 00:31:57 CET 2022

Dear Javier,
thanks!
> https://latex3.github.io/babel/guides/non-standard-hyphenation-with-luatex.html https://latex3.github.io/babel/guides/non-standard-hyphenation-with-luatex.html
I'm having great trouble to understand this Web site. The earliest point that I don't understand is this:
> a pattern with the string to be handled (here ck );
What is “ ck ” in “here ck ”: the pattern (and the string to be handled is contained in ck, i.e., one of the four substrings of ck ) or the string to be handled itself?
> a replacement with a list containing exactly the same number of elements as the pattern (except if there are inserted elements, as explained below).
What exactly is the said replacement and what is the said list in { no = c, pre = k- },{}?
Best regards,
Peter