[tex-hyphen] possible bug in Catalan hyphenation

Claudio Beccari claudio.beccari at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 17:29:33 CEST 2021

While reading the babel-catalan documentation i noticed this paragraph

To improve hyphenation we give the grave character (’) a non-zero lower
case code; when we do that TEX will find more breakpoints in words that
contain this character in its rˆole as apostrophe.
37 \addto\extrascatalan{%
38 \lccode‘’=‘’}
39 \addto\noextrascatalan{%
40 \lccode‘’=0}

1) The grave word should be repalced by acute.
2) Apparently the code snippet reported in the seocnd part of the copied
snippet from  babel-catalan.pdf is the cause of the remarked bug. May be
together with the lefthyphenmin=2 setting for the language

Apparently the bug vanishes if the activeacute option is selected, but
with ths option in force the apostrophe should befollwed by an empty
group (note 2 of the documentation) because the active single quote
character is used to set the acute accent over the following vowel.

Moreover the babel catalan.ldf was last revised on 2005/03/29, therefore
it not up to date with the LICR character representation that is being
in force for the past four years; the arguments used inthe documentation
for saving the different encodings from OT1 vs T1 and Type1 do not aply
anymore.

The obvious suggestion would be to upgrade catalan.ldf and its
documentation.

This is my analysis; it might be wrong, because I am not a Catalan
writer and speaker, I can just read it.

Claudio