[tex-hyphen] Hyphenation in Albanian

Claudio Beccari claudio.beccari at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 00:05:19 CEST 2020

Apparently the language handler polyglossia has a module for Albanian;
on the opposite the Babel documentation does not list your language
among the supported ones; but here exists the file albanian.ldf; this
file esplicitly for what concern hyphenation falls back to the Englis
patterns..

The support offered by polyglossia is specified in gloss-albanian.ldf
This file sets \hyphennames={albanian}, but I assume that actually
albanian patterns are missing also for polyglossia.

Very good. For the very ittle I know of Albanian, I'd say you are in a
very good position to create yourself the suitable patterns. Your
language, as far as I can say, is is pretty much phonetic and probably
the grammar rules reflect this aspect. Start from the grammar rules of
syllabification defferent from hyphenation — hyphenation must obey
grammar, but also typography; for example the minimum number of
characters for the first and the last hyphen points. An example in
Italian: the word "idea" can be syllabified according to grammar in
"i-de-a", but in typography it cannot be hyphenated at all because in
Italian typography you neve leave a word fragment at the end or at the
start of a line made up with just one letter.
Remember you language has many sounds, each one generally rendered with
a single letter possibly with diacritics; very few dygraphs, such as sh,
dh, and similar ones; patterns mus include at least one pattern ofr
every letter, moreover you have to take care of indivisible consonat
clusters, or indivisible vocal clusters. I suggest you to work with a
grammar at hand; while you create or modify your patterns write down a
file with words containing those patterns. While you proceed you might
need to check the correctness of your patterns. At the moment it would
be confusing, but in due time write me and I will show you, if still
possible, the set up I used to test the patterns I wrote for several
languages, mostly of Latin origin, without the complex set up that is
needed by the team.

Remember to code you pattern file in UTF-8 encoding. It is much easier
for you to read them and for the subsequent processing needed by the team.

Recently I assisted an Albanian student getting her degree in Italy, who
wrote her thesi in Italian, bu with many stretches of text in Albanian;
these parts where hyphenated by hand, because she could not use LaTeX,
but the final printing was done from a LaTeX generated pdf file; the
supervisors were very happy to see a well typeset thesis, that in
humanities apparently is pretty uncommon.

All the best
Claudio