[tex-hyphen] Newest GitHub additions into CTAN?

Stojan Trajanovski stojan.trajanovski at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 14:05:00 CET 2020

On Thu, 31 Dec 2020 at 06:13, Werner LEMBERG <wl at gnu.org> wrote:

> > If we really do need to support 8-bit encodings, I would keep the
> > original UTF-8 patterns intact and just remove the incompatible
> > patterns from the 8-bit version.
>
> This sounds like the way to go.  Given that LaTeX's default input
> encoding today is UTF-8 and most fonts supported by TeX are using
> Unicode output encoding also, I see no reason to not make Unicode the
> default for Macedonian patterns.

I agree with you: the 6 incompatible hyphen patterns (i.e. those containing
the 2 non-existing t2a letters) can be removed, thus Unicode can be made
default for Macedonian patterns. I guess loadhyph will look similar as it
is now for Bulgarian:
https://github.com/hyphenation/tex-hyphen/blob/master/hyph-utf8/tex/generic/hyph-utf8/loadhyph/loadhyph-bg.tex

> > But that 8-bit version needs to be done from scratch (using the
> > existing scripts).
>
> Stojan, is an 8bit version really needed?

Not as a dedicated one i.e. it can be done as you proposed.