[tex-hyphen] Newest GitHub additions into CTAN?

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 12:03:21 CET 2020

Dear Stojan,

On Wed, 23 Dec 2020 at 21:30, Stojan Trajanovski wrote:

> I wanted to ask, what is the planned timing for uploading the most recent hyph-utf8 changes into CTAN?

We wanted to do the upload in 2020, but we're currently stuck at
consistency checking.

Can you please clarify which encoding is (mainly) being used for
typesetting Macedonian? (No, we are not going to support 6 variants of
Cyrilic encodings.)
When we first added the patterns we ended up assuming a special
encoding that was fit for Macedonian only.
(Not that I understood how that would be useful given that almost no
fonts come with support for that encoding, but that's a different
topic :)

You asked for removal of two characters from 8-bit versions of
patterns based on the argument that they are missing from T2A. But
then I tried to compare T2A and our definition of "macedonian"
encoding [1] and nothing matches any longer, so it's no longer clear
to me what exactly the Macedonians would want.

MAC.  unicode name     T2A
0x83  U+0453  cyrgj  # -
0x9A  U+0459  cyrlje # 0xA7
0x9C  U+045A  cyrnje # 0xBB
0x9D  U+045C  cyrkje # -
0x9F  U+045F  cyrdzh # 0xB6
0xBC  U+0458  cyrj   # 0x6A
0xBE  U+0455  cyrdze # 0xAF

If we claim that we support the T2A encoding as opposed to a custom
one, then *ALL* patterns will change, rather than just those that you
manually removed from the patterns.

I would be grateful for some clarification here, and hopefully we get
some feedback from Vasil as well.

Thank you,
    Mojca

[1] https://github.com/hyphenation/tex-hyphen/tree/master/hyph-utf8/source/generic/hyph-utf8/data/encodings