[tex-hyphen] Hyphenation algorithm in Lua

Javier B jbezosl at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 10:12:27 CEST 2020

> LuaTeX provides a “hyphenate” callback allowing to replace TeX's
> hyphenation routine (LuaTeX manual, p. 175).
> This callback is used by the luatexko and luavlna packages, which
> however do not use it for real hyphenation.
> I would like to get an idea how this callback can be used for hyphenation.
> Is there any known Lua implementation of TeX's or any other hyphenation
> algorithm?
> What is the preferred way to access the hyphenation patterns within Lua?

I don't think replacing the internal hyphenation algorithm is a good idea,
mainly for efficiency reasons. Not as a replacement of the hyphenation
algorithm, but as a complement, babel provides \babelposthyphenation,
to deal with non-standard hyphenation. See:

https://github.com/latex3/babel/wiki/Non%E2%80%93standard-hyphenation-with-luatex

It's also used  by babel for CJK and southeast Asian line breaking.

Javier