[tex-hyphen] Finnish basic hyphenation rules

Teemu Likonen tlikonen at iki.fi
Thu Apr 16 17:51:57 CEST 2020

Arthur Reutenauer [2020-04-01T19:11:09+02] wrote:

> Teemu, thanks for writing. As you surmised, we wouldn’t like to
> replace the current hyphenation for Finnish, but an additional set is
> always possible.

I have been thinking and testing these new Finnish basic hyphenation
patterns and it looks to me that they are ready. They do what anybody
would expect. The current (old) Finnish patterns aim for good typography
(it seems), on average, but give sometimes unexpected output if one
wants to fully control hyphenation. Our new patterns give a nice
alternative by giving expected basic hyphenation.

There are a couple of ambiguous cases where an automatic hyphenation
can't know where is a diphthong in a certain three-letter series. "haku
: ha-uissa" or "hauki : hau-issa". Both have "aui". Another is "ruko :
ru-oissa" and "ruoka : ruo-issa". These will not be hyphenated between
any of the vowels. Typography prefers not to break between vowels
anyway. No problem.

Maybe it's time to proceed. Can these new patterns be integrated to TeX
system? My powers and current skills are not enough for that.
Polyglossia has language-specific options. Is it possible to utilise
those for choosing a hyphenation variant? Something like this:

    \setdefaultlanguage[hyphenation=typographic]{finnish} % default
    \setdefaultlanguage[hyphenation=basic]{finnish}       % new

Everything but the hyphenation patterns would be the same.

I found that in Babel there are modifiers like this:

    \usepackage[finnish.basichyph]{babel}
    \languageattribute{finnish}{basichyph}

But what do I know about the practices and implementation. This is just
a user thinking out loud.

--
/// Teemu Likonen - .-.. http://www.iki.fi/tlikonen/