[tex-hyphen] Finnish basic hyphenation rules

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Fri Apr 3 22:59:32 CEST 2020

	Hi Teemu,

  I should probably have expressed myself differently.  You don’t need
to know how to program in Lua to use LuaTeX, it’s just an extended
version of pdfTeX.  The reason why I mentioned it is that it’s much
easier to test new patterns because you can add patterns on the fly,
while with all the other variants of TeX you need to regenerate the
formats (which is not that complicated, but makes errors more likely
when testing).

  There are not many tests in the TeX-hyphen repository, we took the
existing patterns and looked for word lists and tests, but couldn’t find
many.  Mostly I think we came too late when we started (in 2008); all
the heavy work had already been done for the major languages a long time
ago (as you can see, for Finnish the latest change to the patterns
themselves dates from March 1989).  There are some things in the
directory tests, for example tests/testsuite/languages and
tests/wordlist-check/.

  Anyway, I started work in https://github.com/hyphenation/basic-finnish
with the word list from Kotus (http://kaino.kotus.fi/sanat/nykysuomi/)
and a few simple rules.  If, as per the above, you’re ready to use
LuaTeX, it would be easy to have those patterns in your documents
instead for the current ones for Finnish.  Real-life documents are the
best test one can think of :-)

	Best,

		Arthur